Late last month, the Federal Court in a landmark decision, quashed a hillside development that was approved by the local authority in Penang.
Federal Court judge Nallini Pathmanathan, who wrote the unanimous decision, ruled that Section 22(2A) says that development affecting hill tops or hill slopes is no longer merely an issue of local state governance, but is also a federal and national issue.
What does this all mean, and how will this ruling impact other hillside development plans around the country?
BFM talks to Dr Gurdial Singh Nijar, an advocate and solicitor who represented the Sungai Ara residents who won their case after a decade-long battle, about the implications of this landmark decision and why it is a win for environmental law.
Produced and presented by: Juliet Jacobs
- Tegakkan maruah serta kualiti kehidupan rakyat
- Galakkan pembangunan saksama, lestari serta tangani krisis alam sekitar
- Raikan kerencaman dan keterangkuman
- Selamatkan demokrasi dan angkatkan keluhuran undang-undang
- Lawan rasuah dan kronisme