Speaker: Dr Muhammed Abdul Khalid, board member, Malaysian Institute of Economic Research
If Najib Razak serves his full 12-year prison term, he will be out in 2034.
But it will be 2037 by the time 1MDB’s debt is fully repaid. The government is expected to spend RM15bn this year and next year RM13bn – ie RM28bn – to repay the debt.
The Perak budget this year is RM1.1bn.
“In other words, if that [1MDB] money had not been stolen, we would not have to finance Perak for 28 years!” economist Muhammed Abdul Khalid said.
Produced by Ekonomi Rakyat
Support the struggle to build a Malaysia based on Justice, Freedom, Solidarity:
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a regular pledge or periodic auto-donation to Aliran
- Become an Aliran member
The views expressed in Aliran's media statements and the NGO statements we have endorsed reflect Aliran's official stand. Views and opinions expressed in other pieces published here do not necessarily reflect Aliran's official position.
AGENDA RAKYAT - Lima perkara utama
- Tegakkan maruah serta kualiti kehidupan rakyat
- Galakkan pembangunan saksama, lestari serta tangani krisis alam sekitar
- Raikan kerencaman dan keterangkuman
- Selamatkan demokrasi dan angkatkan keluhuran undang-undang
- Lawan rasuah dan kronisme
Support Aliran's work with an online donation. Scan this QR code using your mobile phone e-wallet or banking app:
View all comments