While Merdeka is generally associated with Malayan independence (and Sabah’s independence later on), for Tindak Malaysia, we associate the Merdeka year of 1957 with farsighted principles for the redrawing of constituency boundaries that were laid in the then Malayan Constitution.
We would like the public to be aware and adopt our stance on various aspects of fair redrawing of boundaries. More importantly, we will connect our stance on fair boundaries with the 1958 and 1960 principles.
In this special webinar, Tindak Malaysia highlights the 50th anniversary of the principle of simple multiples (the number of state legislative assembly constituencies shall be the same or a multiple of the number of parliamentary constituencies in a state), which was subtly implied in the 1957 Constitution.
Topics to be covered (not limited to):
– Appropriate deviation limits for constituency sizes
– Polling district considerations
– Principle of a simple multiple
– Balance of local ties and equalisation
Speaker: Danesh Prakash Chacko, director of Tindak Malaysia; long-time specialist for redrawing of constituency boundaries
Moderator: Chia Jia Xuan, research officer of Tindak Malaysia
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a regular pledge or periodic auto-donation to Aliran
- Become an Aliran member