On the move: Eastern migrations

An immigrant community in Sabah - Photograph: Linda Lumayag

Uneven economic development, as well as changing aspirations, are shaping the migratory dynamics in the country. BFM interviews Andrew Aeria about the factors shaping Sabah and Sarawak in migration within the Federation.

Photograph: Linda Lumayag
Photograph: Linda Lumayag

Listen to the interview below:

Thanks for dropping by! The views expressed in Aliran's media statements and the NGO statements we have endorsed reflect Aliran's official stand. Views and opinions expressed in other pieces published here do not necessarily reflect Aliran's official position.

Our voluntary writers work hard to keep these articles free for all to read. But we do need funds to support our struggle for Justice, Freedom and Solidarity. To maintain our editorial independence, we do not carry any advertisements; nor do we accept funding from dubious sources. If everyone reading this was to make a donation, our fundraising target for the year would be achieved within a week. So please consider making a donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB Bank account number 8004240948.
1 Comment
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
charleskiwi
24 Sep 2014 1.21pm

One and only one reason why all the skillful, able and professional (minority) Malaysians have been migrating, the inability to do or perform to the best of what they are. The (minorities) will ALWAYS I repeat ALWAYS remain the second class citizens, period. There is absolutely no prospect or future for all the (minorities). the Umno dorkys not just want the skills of the (minorities) to help develop this country but most of all also they want your financial contributions to the country. Even if what the Umno schmucks are claiming that the Malays are 60% of the population, yet why is the remaining 40% of the population not reflected in the civil services ? Also why are the 40% are paying 90% of all the taxes collected in Malaysia ? I am not advocating that the Malays are not to be employed or marginalized in the employment but why are the minorities are (a large majority) of the tax contributors of this country ? In the circumstances are there any hope left for the minorities in this …country ? Surely the millions who had immigrated… Read more »