Tota comes up with a third set of wishes for the new Malaysia.
Here’s continuing my wish list:
- Abolish the National Civics Bureau (BTN) and in its place introduce a programme for inter-ethnic and interfaith studies in line with creating Bangsa Malaysia.
- Abolish all religious bodies that do not contribute to nation-building and national unity and in their place appoint a board of enlightened Islamic scholars to interpret the Qur’an.
- Ensure that only elected legislatures make laws for the public, not religious bodies.
- Incorporate inter-ethnic and inter-religious studies to the school timetable. Make the teaching of religion the responsibility of parents.
- Cancel all government-linked companies at state and federal levels. They were created for Umnoputras and their cronies. The indecently high salaries the CEOs gave themselves have drained the nation’s coffers. The government has no business doing business.
- Ensure interviews and promotion boards are multi-ethnic in composition. Also, ensure 30% of these boards comprise women.
- Get the auditor general to investigate all Umnoputra government suppliers like the suppliers of drugs to government hospitals and clinics.
- Stop the reckless banning of books, magazines, articles, and films. Do what is required to open the minds of Bangsa Malaysia.
- Revamp RTM and make it an independent institution to disseminate news, promote intellectual discussion of national issues and educate the public. Promote cross-cultural activities. To begin with, feature Ramli Ibrahim on television.
- Lift the ban on all religious words non-Muslims were prevented from using by a misguided understanding of religion.
- Set up an independent newspaper without party affiliation to disseminate news and engage people in healthy discussion of issues important to the nation.
- Do not permit Barisan Nasional MPs to join Pakatan Harapan, which they consider to be a gravy train. Neither must Pakatan Harapan allow BN members to join it. They will contaminate the ruling coalition.
- Revoke the PR status of Zakir Naik and send him back to India to face justice. Bigots in the last government honoured him and gave him free rein to preach sermons that set back the cause of national unity.
Tota, short for Theatre Of The Absurd, is the pseudonym of a regular contributor to our Thinking Allowed section.