Tota continues with the second part of his wish list for the new Pakatan Harapan government.
Here you go:
- Reform the judiciary and make it completely independent.
- Ensure gender equality.
- Institute anti-racist, anti-xenophobic and anti-religious extremism policies. Put in place Ketuanan Rakyat and a Malaysian Agenda in place of narrow, outdated chauvinistic mindsets.
- Give priority to national unity and build a united nation.
- Sign all thus far unsigned UN Conventions, especially the:
– International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
– International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.
– International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
– UN Convention against Torture.
- Amend the Constitution to establish an elected Senate.
- Abolish the post of attorney general and appoint an independent public prosecutor (the US model) or an independent director of prosecution (UK model).
- Ensure there is legislation to put into effect the Federal Court ruling that the consent of both parents is required to convert underage children to Islam if one partner in a marriage converts to Islam.
- Muslim family law: look again at pre-1980 provisions and incorporate the best features of the Moroccan and Singapore models.
- Reopen or re-examine the following cases: the Altantunya murder case and other unexplained high-profile deaths (eg Teoh Beng Hock) and abductions;the Scorpene Submarine corruption scandal involving Baginda; and the National Feedlot Corporation corruption scandal and recover the missing RM250m
Tota, short for Theatre Of The Absurd, is the pseudonym of a regular contributor to our Thinking Allowed section.