The Oppressed People’s Network (Jerit) has initiated a nationwide cycling campaign that carries the theme of ’Rakyat Pengayuh Perubahan’ which means People The Force of Change. This campaign is spearheaded by community leaders and ordinary Malaysians such as plantation workers, industrial workers, farmers, urban pioneers, students and youth groups
NGOs, trade unions, human right groups and political parties also will be part in this campaign to promote human rights and demand for the rights of all Malaysian. The idea of this campaign is to reach the public by cycling to cities and towns in Malaysia whilst spreading awareness of the issues that affect them extremely such as low wage issues, possible retrenchment, lack of democracy, draconian laws against the people and global issues such as the food crisis and the dying planet.
The main objectives of the campaign:
- To increase awareness of the real issues affecting the rakyat.
- To increase awareness of the need to be environment friendly to save our dying earth.
- To popularise the people’s demands:
- the enactment of a Minimum Wage Act;
- the abolition of draconian laws such as ISA;
- the provision of adequate housing for all;
- the imposition of price controls on essential goods;
- the restoration of local municipal council elections;
- an end to the privatisation of public services such as health care and education
Interested in participating or contributing to this campaign? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org / visit www.jerit.org / call 019-2275982