Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia (GBM), a coalition of 28 NGOs, concluded its 10th annual general meeting on 6 August.
The meeting elected a new leadership team for the coalition with Stanley Yong Yew Wei, the deputy chair of the previous term and a vice-president of GBM member organisation, the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall, being elected as the new chairman of GBM.
The outgoing chairman, Badlishah Sham Baharin, who is also president of GBM member organisation Pertubuhan Ikram Malaysia, stepped down after leading the coalition from 2020 to 2022. He thanked the outgoing executive council for the support during his term and urged all the member organisations to continue upholding the GBM spirit and to continue supporting GBM’s ongoing endeavours such as Manifesto Rakyat and GBM’s involvement in Rasuah Busters.
The newly elected GBM executive council members:
- Chair: Stanley Yong Yew Wei, Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH)
- Deputy chair: Arumugam Kalimuthu, Suara Rakyat Malaysia (Suaram)
- Secretary: Helen Ting Mu Hung, LLG Cultural Development Centre
- Assistant Secretary: Sarajun Hoda Abdul Hassan, Aliran
- Treasurer: Jusni Yusoff, Ikram
Executive council members:
- Tan Yew Sing, Merdeka University Berhad
- Lee Kok Li, Engage
- Loh Pai Ling, Buddhist Missionary Society Malaysia
- Jeffrey FK Phang, Persatuan Penduduk Petaling Jaya (MyPJ)
- Chong Kok Boon, Monsoons Malaysia
- Saminatha Kumaran Veloo, Tamil Foundation Malaysia
Stanley Yong Yew Wei is the new chairman of Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia (GBM)