Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia calls upon Dr Mahathir Mohamad to immediately stop accepting Umno turncoats into Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia.
Not just democratically wrong, such absorption of Umno defectors may destabilise Malaysian politics and result in three unintended consequences that undo New Malaysia as Mahathir’s last political legacy.
Pakatan Harapan (PH) was voted in on a clear political pact to deliver political stability and national renewal which entailed Mahathir becoming the prime minister, Anwar Ibrahim the successor and a balance of power among the PH component parties.
The absorption of Umno turncoats into Bersatu is bound to disrupt the balance of power within PH and may trigger a race between PH parties to attract Umno MPs to crossover.
GBM warns that a meltdown of Umno and absorption by PH parties may have three unintended consequences.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Use online banking to schedule an auto donation to Aliran every month or every quarter
- Support the struggle for Justice, Freedom and Solidarity; become an Aliran member
First, Umno and its patronage culture may make a return to government through the back door.
Second, PH securing a super-majority may induce a sense of invincibility and accelerate infighting between and within PH parties and Warisan.
Third, removing Umno as a viable opposition may result in the growth of far-right politics. With more crossovers, we foresee a weakened Umno will be forced to play the race and religion card moer to stay in contention leading to stronger partnerships with Pas to secure gains.
GBM urges Mahathir to put his legacy before the short-term benefit of Bersatu. Malaysians would like to remember him for building a genuine multi-party democracy instead of causing instability and implosion within PH.
GBM cautions PH that ten months after regime change, Malaysians are getting frustrated with political bickering between politicians between and within some PH parties.
Mahathir made the commitment not to accept Umno turncoats on 16 May 2018, saying, “We feel that the people cannot accept Umno and other parties, thus they should not be accepted as party members. It will not sit well with the rakyat who do not want the old government to influence the new government, their participation will not be accepted.”
He should heed his own wisdom 10 months ago and focus his energy to make multi-party democracy work in Malaysia, not risk undoing his last political project for short term gains.
Issued by the following member organisations of Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia:
- LLG Cultural Development Centre (LLG)
- Tindak Malaysia
- Persatuan Bekas Siswazah Universiti dan Kolej di China, Malaysia (LiuHua)
- Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara (Aliran)
- The Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH)
- Muslim Professionals Forum (MPF)
- All Women’s Action Society (Awam)
- Negeri Sembilan Chinese Assembly Hall (NSCAH)
- Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia (SABM)
- Merdeka University Bhd (MUB)
- Tamil Foundation Malaysia
- Kumpulan Aktivis Mahasiswa Independen (Kami)
- Suara Rakyat Malaysia (Suaram)
- Monsoons Malaysia