The Malaysian Bar wishes to highlight the media release issued by the Legal Profession Qualifying Board (LPQB) on 29 March 2019 regarding the requirements for holders of the Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) qualification to sit for the Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP) exam with effect from 1 January 2021.
The LPQB is an independent statutory body established under the Legal Profession Act 1976, tasked with determining the qualifications required for entry into the legal profession and responsible for the administration of the CLP exam – which is a prerequisite for a certain category of law graduates with recognised law degrees who wish to be admitted as advocates and solicitors of the High Court of Malaya.
By virtue of Section 7 of the Legal Profession Act, the LPQB consists of:
- the attorney general (who is its chairman)
- two judges nominated by the chief justice
- the chairman of the Bar Council and
- a full-time member of the academic staff of a faculty of law nominated by the Ministry of Higher Education
Individuals who intend to sit for the CLP exam must fulfil specific prerequisites, including obtaining the required pre-tertiary qualifications and holding a law degree from a recognised institution.
The Malaysian Bar highlights that for this purpose, the LPQB has long recognised the UEC qualification to varying extents, for at least the last two decades.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Use online banking to schedule an auto donation to Aliran every month or every quarter
- Support the struggle for Justice, Freedom and Solidarity; become an Aliran member
The Malaysian Bar also highlights that the recognition of the UEC qualification by the LPQB is for a specific and very focused purpose — it merely permits an eligible holder to sit for the CLP exam, if all other prerequisites have been fulfilled.
Abdul Fareed Abdul Gafoor is president of the Malaysian Bar.
This piece, written on 2 April 2019, is reproduced from here and has been edited for style only.