Patriot agrees with Lawyers for Liberty director Zaid Malek, who is reported to have slammed the government for the recent arrest of two schoolboys over a video the duo posted “ridiculing the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) history paper”.
The manner in which the teenagers were arrested, as reported by news media, is not only totally uncalled for but is most injurious to the two young children.
Such a raid (at their homes), and arresting and subjecting them to urine tests is a traumatic experience. It can emotionally scar the naive teenaged boys.
In fact, it even inflicts long-term emotional pain as they become the brunt of ridicule among fellow schoolmates. Even teachers may be inclined to take an objectionable position with them.
And of course, the social scar extends to the parents too, as they have to deal with the arrests and police detention.
As was rationally pointed out by Lawyers for Liberty, this is a disciplinary matter and not one of a criminal nature. The school concerned should have strictly dealt with the matter and not have a teacher make a police report.
It is puzzling too why the police did not call on the head of the school and provide prudent advice and assistance if needed, but instead swung into raid-arrest-interrogate action.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a regular pledge or periodic auto-donation to Aliran
- Become an Aliran member
Patriot too demands a healing response from not only the head of police but also the education minister.
Meanwhile, we urge the communications minister to now recognise the fallacy and inherent dangers of the Communications and Multimedia Act [the continued existence of Section 233(1)(a) of the Communications and Multimedia Act] and to reform the law.
Retired Deputy Commissioner of Police Dato’ Zulkifli Mohamad is deputy president of the National Patriots Association (Patriot)
- Tegakkan maruah serta kualiti kehidupan rakyat
- Galakkan pembangunan saksama, lestari serta tangani krisis alam sekitar
- Raikan kerencaman dan keterangkuman
- Selamatkan demokrasi dan angkatkan keluhuran undang-undang
- Lawan rasuah dan kronisme