The Joint Action Group for Gender Equality (JAG) would like to congratulate Anwar Ibrahim on his appointment as the 10th Prime Minister of Malaysia.
As we await with anticipation the appointment of the cabinet, we urge the government to appoint a credible and capable minister for women, family and community development.
The candidate should have a strong track record of championing the welfare of women and children, with a rights-based focus.
Women in Malaysia still face many obstacles to gender equality. According to the Department of Statistics, women are paid less for the same work. The lack of childcare facilities also hampers their participation in the workforce, leading to a low female labour force participation rate. Survivors of gender-based violence also still face barriers accessing justice.
JAG therefore urges the prime minister to hold fast to the manifesto pledges for improving the status of women and children in this country, including gazetting the anti-sexual harassment law which was passed in July 2022. The government must also keep to its commitment in the election manifesto to enable Malaysian women to pass on citizenship to their overseas born children.
The new government must comply with international obligations to gender equality and non-discrimination, and usher in an era of protection and empowerment for all women and children in Malaysia.
Endorsed by the following JAG member organisations:
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a regular pledge or periodic auto-donation to Aliran
- Become an Aliran member
- Women’s Aid Organisation (WAO)
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Perak Women for Women Society
- Kryss Network
- Sisters in Islam (SIS)
- Women’s Centre for Change (WCC)
- All Women’s Action Society (Awam)
- Justice for Sisters
- Sarawak Women for Women Society
- Persatuan Sahabat Wanita Selangor
- Persatuan Kebajikan Sokongan Keluarga Selangor dan KL (Family Frontiers)