We, the undersigned are appalled and disturbed at the attacks and death threats directed at Nik Elin Zurina, a Kelantan-born lawyer, regarding her recent case of challenging the constitutionality and validity of the Kelantan state Sharia laws.
Such threats not only violate the principles of human decency but also stand as a crime in Malaysia.
As stated in the Penal Code, Section 506, issuing death threats is a criminal act that provides a maximum sentence of seven years imprisonment or with a fine or both, if convicted.
Nik Elin’s courageous stance in challenging the constitutionality and validity of state Sharia laws that were enacted by the Kelantan State Legislative Assembly highlights the critical need to protect and defend the supremacy of the Federal Constitution.
It is alarming and deeply concerning to see continual harassment, attacks and death threats directed towards Nik Elin, especially as they appear to be an attempt to suppress and silence her voice for speaking out against injustices.
Therefore, we urge the public to refrain from disseminating hate, issuing threats and encouraging violence aimed at Nik Elin.
It is crucial to recognise that death threats, whether through social media platforms or physically in person, show an act of extremism and must not be tolerated.
- Sign up for Aliran's free daily email updates or weekly newsletters or both
- Make a one-off donation to Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara, CIMB a/c 8004240948
- Make a regular pledge or periodic auto-donation to Aliran
- Become an Aliran member
We also call upon the authorities to take necessary action against the perpetrators responsible for these threats.
Joint Action Group for Gender Equality (JAG):
- All Women’s Action Society (Awam)
- Association of Women Lawyers (AWL)
- Family Frontiers
- Justice for Sisters (JFS)
- Kryss Network
- Perak Women for Women Society (PWW)
- Sabah Women’s Action-Resource Group (Sawo)
- Sarawak Women for Women Society (SWWS)
- Sisters in Islam (SIS)
- Women’s Aid Organisation (WAO)
- Women’s Centre for Change (WCC)
- Centre For Independent Journalism (CIJ)
- Freedom Film Network
- Malaysian Action For Justice And Unity (Maju)
- Reproductive Rights Advocacy Alliance Malaysia (RRAAM)
- Suara Rakyat Malaysia (Suaram)