Patriot knows only one thing and that is giving our lives to defend our nation when under attack.
As retired members of the security forces, we will continue to defend Malaysia when the country is under siege. We also have amongst us civilian members who have in their own unselfish ways contributed to the nation and are here staunchly with us in Patriot.
In the months leading to the 2018 general election and the tense hours that followed at the close of balloting, we patriots responded like true members of the security forces to the call of duty, and stood up to be counted.
Today as the country wallows in a dangerous mixture of misery and jubilation, we hereby warn that Patriot will not tolerate treason or betrayal in any form.
Once the rule of law is compromised; once the fundamental pillars of democracy are put at risk; once greed and self-interest precedes national stability and security; once the peace of this nation is tested and threatened by political deceit and greed, we will step forward and do our job we were trained for, ie to defend the people, the king and country.
What has happened leading to the appointment of the country’s eighth prime minister must be examined without fear or favour. It is the duty of all of us, as patriotic citizens who call Malaysia our home, to ensure that justice, honour and dignity were not trampled upon or exploited to achieve power or to lose power.
Democracy when compromised, exploited or feigned upon, threatens the stability of a nation. If we allow the thieves and corrupt individuals to steal and plunder from the nation’s coffers, we have allowed the country to slip into a vulnerable state. Such individuals don’t deserve a respectable place in our society.
Patriot will not let it be. As trained, disciplined and patriotic citizens, we will rise to defend our country and king.
If there are elements of treason or hints of betrayal against the people’s democratic rights as enshrined in our sacrosanct Constitution, we demand that these be investigated and acted justly upon.
Expunging an existing elected government and replacing it without the mandate of citizens is not only a blow to our constitutional monarchy, but attacks our very pillars of democracy.
A nation weakened from the inside is in a far more dangerous situation than if it is being attacked by an invading power.
Hence Patriot, with endorsements from many well-intended NGOs, civil society leaders and individual citizens, demands the following:
- Citizens have a right to view the numbers (including names) that determined support for the two sides
- Citizens voice disapproval and disgust over those facing criminal charges and stood behind or participated in the overthrow of the democratically elected government. These unscrupulous politicians must be taken to task
- Parliament must convene without delay to allow support for the new prime minister and government to be tested. Otherwise this new government is seen as illegitimate. This principle of legitimacy cannot be compromised.
- In the event Perikatan Nasional fails to secure majority support in Parliament, Pakatan Harapan should be given the chance to form government in compliance with the mandate given by the people after the 2018 general election
- Politicians cannot take power claiming that they are the architects of democracy. It is the people who have this honourable duty. Politicians have a moral obligation to fulfil the trust given to them. As such, Patriot does not buy the assurances preached by renegades and traitors.
- Any person that is to be appointed a minister, deputy minister and including all those political appointees must be vetted by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission and police to ensure that they do not have records of being corrupt or a criminal record and including no criminal charges pending or in progress. This is the time we get rid of corrupt individuals and criminals masquerading to be our leaders
For patriots, the peace and harmony of this nation is at stake. The will of the people cannot be bought with purse strings. Only honour, trust, dignity and patriotism to nation and king remain the viable currency.
Retired Brigadier-General Dato Mohamed Arshad Raji is president of the National Patriots Association (Patriot)
Endorsed by the following NGOs and groups:
- Our Journey
- Kryss Network
- Tindak Malaysia
- PTD Policy Interest Group
- Malaysian Academic Movement (Gerak)
- G25 Malaysia
- Service Civil International (SCI-KL)
- Business Ethics Institute of Malaysia (BEIM)
- Persatuan Promosi Harmoni Malaysia