We, the following NGOs, condemn strongly the threats and harassment targeting Zaid Ibrahim for his Twitter comments on constitutional monarchy.
We staunchly defend constitutional monarchy as a key element of our parliamentary democracy, which in turn stands on the rule of law and civil and political liberties as enshrined in our Federal Constitution.
We stress that there is no room for mob rule in loving constitutional monarchy.
While recognising that the subject matter evokes strong emotions among many Malaysians, we believe the use of threats and violence is a direct attack on the rule of law, which only serves to drag the monarchy into a political skirmish and undermine its paramount function to include and unite all citizens regardless of their specific political persuasion.
We commend the police for the arrest and investigation of Jamal Yunos. We hope the investigation would result in the upholding of the rule of law instead of virtual impunity.
If Zaid’s comment has broken any law, he should be charged in court with his innocence assumed until proven guilty, and not be subject to a political witch hunt and thuggery.
The police must defend the monarchical institution from insidious attempts that undermine the rule of law that pretend to be expressions of royalism.
We remind all Malaysians, real love for constitutional monarchy must be based on love for the rule of law, on which the constitutional monarchy stands. Undermining the rule of law is undermining constitutional monarchy.
- Angkatan Warga Aman Malaysia (WargaAman)
- Federation of Malaysian Indian Organisation (Prima)
- Greenfriends, Sabah
- Islamic Renaissance Front (IRF)
- Kajian Politik untuk Perubahan (KPRU)
- Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH)
- Kumpulan Aktivis Mahasiswa Independen (Kami)
- LLG Cultural Development Centre (LLG)
- Malaysian Indians Progressive Association (Mipas)
- Malaysian Indians Transformation Action Team (Mitra)
- Malaysian Youth Care Association (Prihatin)
- Muslim Professionals Forum (MPF)
- Oriental Hearts and Mind Study Institute (OHMSI)
- Partners of Community Organisations in Sabah (Pacos Trust)
- Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara (Aliran)
- Persatuan Masyarakat Selangor dan Wilayah Persekutuan (Permas)
- Persatuan Rapat Malaysia (Rapat)
- Pertubuhan Ikram Malaysia (Ikram)
- Sahabat Rakyat
- Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia (SABM)
- Suara Rakyat Malaysia (Suaram)
- Research For Social Advancement (Refsa)
- Tamil Foundation
- Teoh Beng Hock Trust for Democracy
- Tindak Malaysia
- Writers Alliance for Media Independence (Wami)