Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia (GBM) demands that Kuala Lumpur Chief Police Officer explain the police failure in preventing the riot at Low Yat Plaza, which is only 1.2km or a seven-minute drive away from the city police headquarters.
This riot was preceded by theft and hooliganism in the same mall a day earlier. Police failure in recognising and swiftly acting on these signs and their lacklustre approach is alarming, causing the disputes to rear the ugly head of racism.
That this happened in the holy month of Ramadan is all the more regrettable.
GBM is also concerned at the police failure in a number of rioting incidents in Penang, Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur, where state government buildings and political party premises were attacked over the past few years.
To date no one has been arrested or charged. This has given rise to the impression that certain groups enjoy impunity for violence.
There should be zero level tolerance for violence and for this we look to our law enforcers. If they cannot inspire confidence, who can?
GBM calls upon the Inspector General of Police, Tan Sri Khalid bin Abu Bakar, to make public the police’s standard operating procedures in dealing with riots and public disorders.
GBM also calls upon CPO Datuk Tajuddin Md Isa to disclose to the public the police’s plan in dealing with the Low Yat Plaza riot, from 7.00pm, when the rioting crowd started to gather, to midnight, when the riot broke out.
In normal countries, these failures would result in the resignation of the chief police officer to assume the responsibility.
GBM asks, who will take responsibility here?
Endorsed by GBM member organizations as below:
- All Women’s Action Society (AWAM) 妇女行动协会
- Anak Muda Sarawak (AMS) 砂拉越青年之子
- Islamic Renaissance Front (IRF) 回教复兴前线组织
- Japan Graduates Association,Malaysia (JAGAM) 马来西亚留日同学会
- Kumpulan Aktivis Mahasiswa Independen (KAMI) 独立学生份子组织
- Lim Lian Geok Cultural Development Centre (LLG) 林连玉基金
- Majlis Perundingan Malaysian Agama Buddha, Kritisian, Hindu, Sikh dan Tao (MCC BCHST) 马来西亚五大宗教理事会
- Muslim Professionals Forum (MPF) 穆斯林专业论坛
- National Indian Rights Action Team (NIAT) 全国印裔权益行动组织
- Negeri Sembilan Chinese Assembly Hall (NSCAH) 森美兰中华大会堂
- Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara (ALIRAN) 国民醒觉运动
- Persatuan Bekas Siswazah Universiti dan Kolej di China, Malaysia (LiuHua)马来西亚留华同学会
- Persatuan Masyarakat Selangor dan Wilayah Persekutuan (PERMAS) 雪隆社区协会
- Pusat Komunikasi Masyarakt (KOMAS) 社区传播中心
- Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia (SABM) 马来西亚之子
- Suara Rakyat Malaysia (SUARAM) 人民之声
- Tamil Foundation Malaysia (TF) 淡米尔基金会
- The Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH) 隆雪华堂
- United Chinese School alumni Associations of Malaysia (UCSAAM) 马来西亚华校校友会联合会总会
14 July 2015