Pakatan state chief ministers got together in Shah Alam and came up with a joint resolution that they hoped would further the people’s aspirations.
We, the Menteris Besar and Chief Ministers participating in the Pakatan Rakyat’s Menteri Besar/Chief Minister Summit on this day 29 November 2010 in Shah Alam, Selangor, have paid careful attention to and obtained the consent of all the presentations in the economic, social, political and administrative aspects.
After taking into account the desires of all presentations and the outcome of deep, thoughtful and constructive partnership from Summit participants, based on the experience of all participants, with this, we assert:
- To continue to lead the state governments and we are determined to meet the needs, desires and hopes of the people;
- To practice the principles of public administration, putting faith-based values and norms agreed upon to practise transparency, accountability and governance excellence;
- To fight corruption and to be free from mismanagement of public funds and to ensure prudent financial management in accordance with the principles of integrity;
- To practise the economic philosophy of being fair and equitable to all people, giving priority to the poor and marginalised to create a civil society; and
- To ensure that State resources are managed in a trustworthy, sustainable and continuously stable manner.
We hereby promise on the principle of consensus to:
- Develop an economic alliance amongst the Pakatan Rakyat states;
- Provide for an investment-friendly environment, which is not bureaucratic, and without unnecessary administration (red-tape);
- Implement any policy development that can be agreed upon, especially in the social, economic and political areas;
- Continue enhancement of management and administrative improvements, either through the involvement formal or informal leadership, policy makers and officials of the Pakatan Rakyat states; and
- Ensure common understanding and practices amongst politicians and administrators in order to establish positive relationships between state governments and party leadership.
We are further committed to “continue the people’s aspirations” according to a set of public policy and action agenda items:
- Reduce the increasing cost of living especially amongst the low-income groups and marginalised society;
- Recognise the people’s right to information, with the formation of the Freedom of Information Enactment;
- Recognise the importance of countering the BN media attacks, by forming a media infrastructure body with shared news amongst Pakatan Rakyat states;
- Recognise people’s right to land ownership, accelerating the process of granting land titles to those eligible;
- Recognise the right of citizens to enjoy the necessary facilities of a good quality of life, by improving the efficiency of local authority services and any agency under the State Government;
- Give priority to housing projects with reasonable financial provision, through the establishment of a housing task-force in the State and District levels;
- Guarantee the ‘food security’ of states, by way of relief distribution system practices and production standards to help fishermen, farmers and breeders;
- Ensure investments into economic projects, through the Selangor government’s provision of RM10 million as seed money into a ‘club deal’ to help all other Pakatan Rakyat states;
- Recognise the right of people to freedom of choice, by working towards making Local Government elections a reality;
- Create a sustainable living environment that is safe, clean and green.
We are aware of the recent practice of the Federal Government to erode the rights of the States through policies that are not pro-people; there exist limitations to the State’s powers that ultimately discriminate against Federalism, and we recognise there are some constraints in dealing with the powers of the Federal Government.
However, we believe in having good leadership in terms of vision and direction in administering the State, and hereby agree to establish coordination and sharing of experiences and the establishment of joint committees for the development and advancement of people of the State.
Thus a periodic series of forums involving the executive council and officers of each State shall be implemented to increase the commitment to continue the ideals of Pakatan Rakyat, to meet the needs, desires and hopes of the people.
We, as the Menteris Besar/Chief Ministers of the Pakatan Rakyat-ruled states, accept this resolution to be implemented.