Wong Chen takes us through the various stages that Hadi’s bill will have to go through before it can become law.
Let’s talk about the law making process of the so-called bill 355.
1. Hadi Awang is now given an opportunity (thanks to BN) to table his motion early next week [24 November 2016] at position no. 4. [Updated: no. 6].
2. Since Hadi Awang is not part of the BN government, he is a ‘private member’ of Parliament, and therefore can only present his amendments to Act 355 via a MOTION.
3. Sometime next week, Hadi will most probably read out his MOTION in Parliament.
Facebook update (24 November 2016):
At 10am, the amendments to Hadi Awang’s hudud bill have been delivered to our table.
He has finally abandoned his hudud punishment agenda and he will now pursue instead a maximum of 30 years jail sentence, RM100,000 fine and 100 strokes.
At 12.20 pm, ahead of five motions, Speaker Pandikar gives way to Hadi Awang to take the floor to amend his motion.
After two minutes, Hadi finished and sat down. Hadi offered not to debate the issue. This is an absolutely irresponsible U-turn after getting everyone in Malaysia riled up! The Speaker then says the matter will be postponed to another time. The Speaker then rules that this is not even a first reading.
YB Mujahid stands and say that we have to form a select committee to go forward and not to allow this very serious divisive issue to be played around, uneccesarily fanning religious sentiments of the public.
[This is where we are now ahead of the March 2017 sitting.]
4. Then the floor will be open to debate his MOTION. This is not a debate to pass a law. BUT it is a debate on Hadi’s MOTION.
5. After the debate, there will be a vote on who supports or opposes the MOTION.
6. If Hadi has more support at this stage, the MOTION will then land on the table of the BN government’s representative on Islamic matters. That representative is none other than Minister Jamil Khir from the Prime Minister’s Department.
7. Once the MOTION lands on Jamil’s table, he will then take instructions from Najib as Prime Minister on how to proceed.
8. At this crucial point, Najib can no longer hide and claim that this is a Pas or Hadi Awang initiative. At this point, it is Najib who has to take full responsibility to push for [the amendments].
9. His dangerous political game in the past few months has allowed Hadi Awang to push the hudud agenda. But this will come to an end at this point. It will no longer be Hadi Awang’s bill. At this point, it will become Najib Razak’s bill.
10. If Najib agrees to table the bill, he will then proceed to table it for second and third reading and a final vote is made thereafter.
11. If Najib wins, then the 355 amendments will become law.
12. If Najib does not table the bill, then his romance with Hadi Awang will surely come to an abrupt end.
13. What will happen next… will have a profound political and socio economic impact. What is most worrying, is the willingness of those in power to play the hudud card, in an attempt to stay in power at all costs.
Wong Chen is the member of Parliament for Kelana Jaya.
Source: wongchen.com, 14 October 2016
|We hope you found this article useful. You are one of an increasing number of readers looking up this website for independent analyses and views. We work hard to keep these articles free for all to read. But we do need funds to continue the struggle for Justice, Freedom and Solidarity. To maintain our independence, we do not carry any advertisements; nor do we accept funding from dubious sources. So would you consider making a donation to keep us going - or why not become an Aliran member.|